September 2, 2008

Greetings all,

Welcome to the first cut of What’s On My Mind. As I mentioned in last week’s News From the Front, over the next several months, we will be approaching internal communications in a little different format. News From the Front will be an every other week publication focusing on College news that has not otherwise been reported. Please send stories and news of interest to the Institutional Advancement office for inclusion. What’s On My Mind will come from me on alternate weeks and will include personal musings – thoughts, observations, sights and sounds from around the College.  Both publications, in their unique way, will serve to keep us all informed on issues and events of interest.

So, what’s on my mind this week? Since I returned to the interim role on August 1, I’ve had the privilege of providing a greeting at a number of student events including three iStartSmart orientation sessions, Early College student orientation, Honors orientation, Teacher Education orientation, and student-athlete orientation. There were over 800 students in attendance at these events. What impressed me most was the genuineness, caring, and high level of commitment towards student success displayed by the faculty and staff presenting to our new students. They spoke from the heart, relayed a sense of encouragement, and articulated a culture of high expectations. While the sessions were informative, more importantly they were inspirational with a message that PV is a college where students will be challenged and supported. These sessions truly represent the very best in community building for students – one of the first steps towards success.

I’d also like to thank everyone who worked long hours this week to welcome our students back to campus. The KSC building was the busiest I’ve ever seen and the staff did a great job serving students. Faculty and staff also served students in multiple welcome week tents and stations. Thank you all for creating such a welcoming environment and a great first week of school.

Regards,
Paul Dale, Ed.D.
Interim President