COVID-19 College Update 5

This afternoon, we held our first virtual all-college meeting with over 170 faculty and staff participating. While general information was shared, the overriding purpose was to connect by voice and video images – even the real-time chat function seemed to reinforce the social bond that I know is so important to PVCC. We will continue this on a weekly basis looking for tools that will allow us to record the sessions and facilitate better interaction.

Below is a quick update on a number of pending questions…

Return to work on-campus – look for an announcement soon from the Chancellor’s Office that will extend the date for return to campus. Initially, April 6 was identified as a target, but it is highly likely that this date will be extended for two weeks and further likely that a two-week rolling extension will continue until Maricopa County stabilizes the number of infected residents.

We need to hear from you – there are so many positive things happening on campus as we move to an online learning and service to student environment. Not only are all of you living a “can do” attitude, but you are creating generative and innovative solutions. Please share what you are doing with your dean or vice president and we, in turn will find a way to share across the college.

Communications to Students – below is a summary of what has been recently communicated to students:

Easy Access to Student Resources – a webpage with PVCC-specific resources has been created. You can find this at https://www.paradisevalley.edu/about/here-help. This information is also accessible from the college’s home page at https://www.paradisevalley.edu.

Contact Center – We want to make it as easy as possible for students to connect with a “live voice.” Students may reach the PVCCC Contact Center at 602-787-7000. Our staff is available Monday-Thursday from 8:00am-5:00pm and Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm.

Living in our current reality – as I engage in my new daily work and social reality (Google Hangouts, Google Docs, IM, hyper-email, constant text messages, cell phone, WebEx, etc.) about the only communication tools I am not using are Morse code or carrier pigeons! Although, we are only a week or so into virtual telecommuting, I encourage you to own your redefinition of this space. Brooke Anderson recently wrote in her Mind and Body post to ask yourself several “daily quarantine questions: 1) What am I grateful for today? 2) Who am I checking in on or connecting with today? 3) How am I getting outside today? And 4) What beauty am I creating, cultivating, or inviting in today?”

As always be well and feel free to call me (602-826-7062) anytime as together we positively and affirmatively move forward.