College Update Week Two Spring Re-Boot

As we enter our fourth week of virtual teaching, learning and working, I continue to wish all of you good health and wellness. As we all know, it is almost impossible to carry on our daily work and life functions without the ever-present veil of COVID-19. Today, the Arizona Department of Health Services released infection numbers by zip code and certainly PVCC’s service area is not immune to this invasive virus. My thoughts go out to our neighbors adversely impacted.

In this context, I wanted to provide you several updates. I am pleased to report that PVCC is a recipient of direct funding of $1.3m through the CARES Act that will provide significant funding to students in the form of Emergency Financial Grants. The process for awarding students will be completed as early as next week. In several weeks, an additional allocation of $1.3m from the CARES Act will be allocated to the college to be used either in support of additional emergency student financial grants or to fund institutional costs associated with the COVID-19 public health crisis.

We are pursuing two options for the 2019-2020 Commencement exercises. A virtual experience will be provided through Marching Orders in May as well as plans are being developed for an in-person event sometime this fall.

PVCC is open for business – teaching, learning and student success. I’ve asked the leadership team to ensure that when prospective students visit our website or see us on social media that we continue to tell the story of “bringing learning alive.” Keep in mind that new and returning students are making decisions about summer and fall enrollment and I want them to see us as a “college of first choice.”

Lastly, we are elevating conversation and action directed towards PVCC of the future, post COVID-19. As a primer, this recent article from the New Your Times challenges our thinking around the role of online and distance learning. The All-College virtual meeting on April 23 is focused on what our future might look like. Watch for details soon.

I look forward to seeing you at our upcoming All-College virtual meeting, Tuesday, April 14 at 12:00 noon where the focus will be internally on faculty and staff needs moving forward.

Take care and be well.

Paul